Monday, June 6, 2016

Verbally Inadequate

How is it that some people know exactly the right thing to say...at exactly the right time? And why can't I be one of them?

Some people are so verbally gifted they can articulate a thought the instant it enters their brain...and not only do they not sound stoopid, they manage to sound supremely intelligent to boot. Unlike me who stumbles through life stubbing my forehead on the ground while trying to get my foot out of my mouth. Why can't I be like those other people?

Obviously at this late stage of my life chances of me ever blossoming into any sort of verbal judo black belt are slim to none. But it would be nice to...occasionally...be able to deliver a witty retort...preferably one that actually made sense. Instead out pops the good ol' stand by "Oh yeah... well.... so????? Or the equally fabulous "fuck you".

Was there some kind of class I missed in school that taught stuff like this? One of the many, many, classes I cut in favor of partying and doing stuff I shouldn't have been doing? Did I fry my brain with drugs and alcohol to the point that neurotransmitter function was slowed to a snails pace? Is that why I'm slow?

It's not that I'm a complete imbecile. I may not be at the top of the smart scale but I can, most of the time, form compete sentences. Not always...but most of the time I can even spell correctly...and when I can't, I'm smart enough to use spell check. Although I have to admit, spell check doesn't help at all for shit like there/their, your/you're...etc.

Sometimes I do think of a fabulously witty comeback but it's always several hours later when it can do me no good. And it's not like you can shove those witty little jewels into the brain vault for future use because they never fit into the slots like you think they will. Oh, you think...I can't wait until somebody says "this" to me so I can say "that" to them...but it never works out that way. The "that" that you've been saving never fits in with whatever their "this" is. Does that make sense?

When you have it drilled into your head from the time you learn to talk that you're always supposed to be polite it's really hard to change that kind of thinking. Maybe because my mom forced me to polite I never developed the skills necessary to deliver a well placed barb.

Maybe I just don't have the killer instinct. Because it's either that or I'm slightly imbecilic...maybe a combination of both...it's the stoopidist thing.




4 comments:

  1. Maybe it's to your credit that you don't spend a lot of time thinking of ways to escalate a conflict with someone.

    I, on the other hand, get into conflict whether I want to or not. So most of my downtime is spent collecting witty phrases and sharpening my skills so I will be better prepared for my next encounter.

    If you don't have a lot of that stored up, it means you are a well rounded individual. Trust me, it's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit, I enjoy reading about your conflicts. But I really like the John stories best.

      Delete
  2. My beautifully scathing comebacks usually come the next day also. My problem is that I'm wired to be diplomatic, plus I'm a slow thinker. Even when I'm telling a story, my listener's eyes start to glaze over while I search for words. That's why I like to write.
    If you're slow to react, at least your writing is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh great, so now not only am I a member of the Moronsky clan, I'm a slow thinking dim wit to boot. Does it get any better than this???

      Delete